4.23.2012

Maxfield Parrish

Painter of Magical Make-Believe

This post is part of Nonfiction Monday 
hosted today by Books 4 Learning
(pub. 9.28.2011)  32 pages 

A True Tale with A Cherry On Top

A uthor: Lois V. Harris
     
haracter: Maxfield Parrish

O verview from the jacket flap: 

      "An extraordinarily gifted artist, Maxfield Parrish helped shape the Golden Age of illustration with a career lasting more than half a century... Parrish grew up painting at an easel and visiting Europe to study the Old Masters. His imaginative style and lively colors decorated books, advertisements, candy boxes, calendars, and cards.  By 1925, prints of his work hung in millions of homes all across America.
      This biography for children contains photographs of the artist and is illustrated with the colorful dreamlands he was known for creating."

T antalizing taste: 

      "The deep shades of blue he created became known as 'Parrish blue.' When asked how he made it, Maxfield said it 'is just ordinary blue you can buy around the corner, but what I put next to it is what makes it what it is.'"

and something more:   My favorite painting featured in Lois V. Harris' picture book biography, Maxfield Parrish - Painter of Magical Make-Believe, is "The Lantern Bearers" which highlights Maxfield Parrish's use of vivid blue contrasted with yellow.  I was interested to learn in the Credits at the book of the book that this painting is owned by the new Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art in Bentonville, Arkansas.

6 comments:

Lois V. Harris said...

Many thanks for mentioning my Maxfield Parrish: Painter of Magical Make-Believe book. My favorite image in the book is his "Hill Top Farm, Winter." Parrish captured on canvas the feeling of a bitter cold winter day. The original is at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston and on my list of paintings to see. There is nothing like seeing an original of a favorite work of artl---hope you get to visit the new Crystal Bridges Museum in Arkansas someday!

Jeanne Walker Harvey said...

You're most welcome, Lois. I just checked out "Hill Top Farm, Winter" and you're right -- it has that quiet still quality and lighting of a cold winter day. Thanks for stopping by!

Books4Learning said...

Thanks for participating in NonFiction Monday this week! It is always a pleasure to see your posts. I appreciate books like this one because they introduce me to people I have never heard of or know little about. I am virtually illiterate on artists. I'll have to check this one out!

Jeanne Walker Harvey said...

You did a great job hosting -- it was a terrific selection of posts. Yes, I think you would be interested in this one. My area of expertise is more modern artists so I actually didn't know Maxfield Parrish either. Just another reason we love books, right?!

Fats Suela from Gathering Books said...

This book had me sold on Maxfield Parrish being a "painter of make-believe." The cover illustration looks gorgeous. I like anything art-related, so I think I will enjoy reading this book and looking at the illustrations. Thank you for another wonderful review! :)

Jeanne Walker Harvey said...

Hi Fats, Yes, I too thought that was a great subtitle, too. Thanks for stopping by!