3.18.2013

Miss Moore Thought Otherwise

This post is part of Nonfiction Monday
hosted today at Perogies & Gyoza
and joins It's Monday!
What are you reading?

(pub. 3.5.2013) 40 pages 

A True Tale with A Cherry On Top

A uthor: Jan Pinborough
     and Illustrator: Debby Atwell

haracter: Anne Carroll Moore

O verview from the jacket flap: 

      "Once upon a time in America, children could not take books home from the library. They could not even walk into many libraries. They were not allowed. Back then, adults thought that ....
      * Children would ruin the library books with their dirty hands.
      * Children would never remember to bring library books back.
      * Reading wasn't very important for children, especially not for girls.
     But Miss Moore thought otherwise. In fact, Miss Moore thought that children deserved a room of their own - a bright, warm room with chairs their size, cozy window seats, story hours, and, most important of all, borrowing privileges to hundreds and hundreds of the best children's books in many different languages."

T antalizing taste: 

       "But many libraries still kept children's books locked in cabinets or tucked away in corners. They did not have enough books for children or enough shelves to put them on.
     So when it was announced that a grand new library would be built on Fifth Avenue and Forth-Second Street, Miss Moore was determined to make its new Central Children's Room the best it could be for all the children of New York."
                       
and something more: Even though I grew up on the West Coast, the main New York Public Library always represented the epitome of libraries in my mind. Perhaps it was those magnificent lions that I remember seeing when we visited, and the enormity of the building and reading rooms. I clearly remember the glorious Spring day a few years ago when I eagerly climbed the stairs of the main New York Public Library, and nodded hello to Patience and Fortitude. I was on a mission. I headed straight to the Children's Library, and I found what I was hoping to find. Copies of the two picture books I'd written were happily tucked in the bookshelves. In the words of Lewis Carroll, "Oh, frabjous day!"
        I was recently inspired to interview the wonderful children's librarian, April Hayley, at my local public library because she was chosen as the town's Person of the Year. I think the name of the American Library Association publication that included the interview is perfect ... ILoveLibraries.org.  
             Here's to all children's librarians, beginning with Miss Moore Who Thought Otherwise, and including all school librarians. You are my heroes!

13 comments:

Linda B said...

I love picture books about books, Jeanne, & this looks like a wonderful story. I am old enough to remember that the librarians didn't want me checking out 'adult' books-such cranky people. My mother especially went to tell them it was okay! Thanks for telling about this, & about your own connection-lovely!

Resh said...

I love our local library and we can't get enough. This sounds like a great book to read aloud at school as well. Thanks for sharing!
-Reshama
www.stackingbooks.com

Perogyo said...

Thanks so much for participating in Nonfiction Monday and for the tweet!

I had never realized that libraries had ever barred children! Seems a bit silly now, no?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this one. I love picture book biographies, and this one is now on my Must Read list.

Also, I love librarians. (Who doesn't?) The former children's librarian in one of my local libraries, Ms. Terry Turner, realized before I did that what I really wanted to write was a 'Scientists in the Field' books. She is the reason I pitched Tracking Trash to the SITF editors at Houghton Mifflin so many years ago! (Here's a link to a post about it: http://loreeburns.wordpress.com/2007/03/28/the-stories-behind-the-story-part-i/)

Thanks for a great book tip!

Loree Burns
www.loreeburns.com

Jeanne Walker Harvey said...

Thanks Linda for stopping by. Yes, I'm so glad THOSE types of librarians are a thing of the past.

Jeanne Walker Harvey said...

Hi Resh, Aren't we lucky to have great local libraries? And I agree that this book will be a good one for schools, too.

Jeanne Walker Harvey said...

Hi Jen, You're welcome and thanks for hosting Nonfiction Monday today! I know... can you even imagine libraries not allowing children inside?

Jeanne Walker Harvey said...

Hi Loree, I so enjoyed reading about your book's connection to your local librarian. I laughed at your first sentence: "I’ve decided to treat my book release the same way I treat my birthday." And, of course, this is lovely: "So, thank you, Terry Turner, for being the sort of librarian who can dash into the stacks and always come back with the right book." Thanks for stopping by and also for sharing your children's librarian story.

laurasalas said...

Thanks for introducing me to this book--I hadn't heard of it yet! Like you, when I visited NY a couple of years ago, my husband and I beelined to the library, I posed for pictures with the lions, and then I went to the Children's Library. I think they had STAMPEDE, my only trade title out at that time, but it was checked out. (I'll have to ask my husband, whose memory is much better than mine.) It was wonderful to just sit in the room and soak up the hallowed presence. Can't wait to read this!

Cathy Ballou Mealey said...

Love the idea of this book! On my TBR list.

If I were better at Pinterest, I'd start a page of writers posing with Patience and/or Fortitude!

Jeanne Walker Harvey said...

Laura, I loved hearing about your NYPL story. And your photo with the lions could be the first one on Cathy's Pinterest page :)

I think it's even better that STAMPEDE was checked out!

I know just what you mean about just being in those rooms!

Jeanne Walker Harvey said...

Cathy, thanks for stopping by. I love your Pinterest page idea! Laura Salas has a photo with the lions if you get inspired to start it!

Jeanne Walker Harvey said...

Cathy, thanks for stopping by. I love your Pinterest page idea! Laura Salas has a photo with the lions if you get inspired to start it!