2.05.2018

Before She Was Harriet

Holiday House Publishing

(pub. 11.7.2017)
32 pages

A True Tale with
A Cherry On Top   

A uthor: Lesa Cline-Ransome
      and illustrator:  
                James E. Ransome

C haracter: Harriet Tubman

O
 verview from the jacket flap: 

     "Moses,
      General Tubman,
      Minty,
      Araminta
the woman we know today as Harriet Tubman went by many names. Each represented one of her many roles as a spy, as a liberator, as a suffragist, and more.
     A powerful poem and exquisite watercolor paintings pay tribute to a true American hero.

T antalizing taste: 
       
"Before she was an old woman 
she was a suffragist
a voice for women 
who had none
in marriages
in courts
in voting booths
before her voice became
soft and raspy
it was loud
and angry 
rising above injustice
 
and something more: I was intrigued by the way this powerful and eloquent story was told -- a loop beginning as an older woman and progressing in reverse order through her life back to a woman "who dreamed/ of living long enough/ to one day/ be old/stiff and achy/tired and worn and wrinkled/ and free".  And such a lovely dedication by James E. Ransome, the illustrator: "To black women who have carried the weight of family and work with grace and dignity."

13 comments:

Jane @ www.raincitylibrarian.ca said...

I adore poetic nonfiction texts like this that can tell their stories in such elegant, beautiful yet accessible ways.

Books4Learning said...

I have this one on my to read pile. Thanks for highlighting it.

Cheriee Weichel said...

I am now looking very much forward to reading Before She Was Harriet.

GatheringBooks said...

This is definitely on my radar - and am really looking forward to reading this one. :)

Jeanne Walker Harvey said...

Hi Jane,
Yes, I agree! It's told poetically, lyrically, and with a sparcity of words, but still conveying SO much.

thanks for stopping by!

Jeanne Walker Harvey said...

Hi Books4Learning,

I think you'll really enjoy this book when you get to it.

thanks for stopping by!

Jeanne Walker Harvey said...

Hi Cheriee,

And I don't think you'll be disappointed when you read it!
thanks for stopping by!

Jeanne Walker Harvey said...

Hi Myra,
Yes, I think you'll find it's a great way to tell this important biography.

Thanks for stopping by!

Linda B said...

It's a wonderful book and I too loved the clever format, from end to beginning.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've read a Harriet Tubman book I didn't like- and I want to read more about this incredible woman. Thanks for sharing!

Jeanne Walker Harvey said...

Hi Jane,
Yes, I so agree with you! It's a real treat to read such beautiful poetic nonfiction that shares a powerful biography.
Thanks for stopping by!

Jeanne Walker Harvey said...

Hi Linda,
So glad to hear you too enjoyed the clever format of the book.
Thanks for stopping by!

Jeanne Walker Harvey said...

Hi chroniclesofachildrensbookwriter,
Yes I agree that it's always fascinating to learn more about Harriet Tubman. Plus, I found this book to be written in such a creative lyrical manner -- an extra treat!
Thanks for stopping by