9.22.2019

Terrible Times Tables

A Modern Multiplication Primer

Cameron + Company
(pub. 8.6.2019) 
80 pages

A True Tale with
A Cherry On Top   

A uthor:  Michelle Markel
 and illustrator: 
                  Merrilee Liddiard
 
C haracters: School Children & The Times Tables

O
 verview

     "Inspired by a Victorian math primer, Terrible Times Tables is a modern take on learning one’s multiplication tables, from numbers 2 to 10, featuring elementary school themes of homeroom, field trips, cafeteria food, holidays, and recitals. Featuring a reluctant narrator and a few unwitting critters, learning math has never been so much fun or amusing.

T antalizing taste: 
     
      "LUNCHTIME

      5 x 1 is 5
      A roach - and it's alive. 
              [illus. of girl carrying lunch tray with big bug]

      5 x 2 is 10
      Mystery meat again.

      5 x 3 is 15
      My nose has grown a bean. 
               [illus of boy with bean stuck in nose]

      5 x 4 is 20
      Don't worry kids, there's plenty.
               [illus of lunch lady]

      5 x 5 is 25
      Never look her in the eye."
      

And something more: Terrible Times Tables falls outside of my usual focus on picture book biographies. But I couldn't resist the fun, humor and creativity of this book (plus the publisher, the wonderful Cameron + Company, also published the picture book I wrote, Boats on the Bay). I asked the author to share something autobiographical about writing this book. Michelle Markel kindly shared her inspiration and the connection to her research for a biography of Randolph Caldecott:

"True confession: I’m not a huge fan of math, so books about it rarely capture my attention. However, several years ago, while researching 19th century children’s literature for a bio of Randolph Caldecott, I came across a Victorian blockbuster called  Marmaduke Multiply’s Merry Method of Making Minor Mathematicians. It consisted of illustrated couplets for each “multiplication fact” - all random, sometimes grim or snarky,  i.e. “6 x 8 is 48/Dear Aunt, your dress is out of date.”).  I loved the mixture of art, poetry, math, and occasional gloominess.  Lights started flashing!  I wanted to use those ingredients for my own version of Marmaduke.  I hope kids have as much fun reading Terrible Times Tables as I had writing it!"

2 comments:

2Shaye ♪♫ said...

I like the creativity of this book and the fact that it mixes both numbers with rhyming reading. I also loved the author confession at the end. What a great inspiration story! Thanks for sharing, Jeanne!

Jeanne Walker Harvey said...

Hi 2Shaye,
I'm so glad you like the idea of this book and Michelle Markel's inside scoop.
Thanks for stopping by!