1.12.2020

16 Words

William Carlos Williams
& "The Red Wheelbarrow"

Schwartz & Wade
(pub. 9.24.2019) 
 40 pages

A True Tale with

A Cherry On Top   

A uthor: Lisa Roger
      and illustrator:  Chuck Groenink
 
C haracter: William Carlos Williams

O
 verview
     "A wheelbarrow.
      A drizzle of rain.
      Chickens scratching in the damp earth.

Open this oh-so-simple picture book and discover how William Carlos Williams turned the everyday things he saw outside a window into his greatest poem."

T antalizing taste: 
     "Dr. Williams depends on his doctor's bag to carry the tools he needs.
     Along with his stethoscope and syringes, he carries a pen. A pen for writing prescriptions. A pen for crafting poems.
     Writing poems brings Dr. Williams joy, and he fits in his writing around his doctoring...
     He writes about trees, a fire engine, cats, and plums.
     He chooses the words for his poetry as carefully as he examines his patients."

And something more: The Author's Note explains that "as a young man, Williams had wanted to be an athlete, but he collapsed after a high school race  and was found to have a heart condition. He was despondent. 'Like a bolt out of the blue,' his first poem came to him:

     A black, black cloud
     flew over the sun
     driven by fierce flying
     rain.

He felt such happiness that 'from that moment I was a poet.'"

10 comments:

Linda B said...

I have it, now need to read and share, too. It sounds lovely!

Clare Landrigan said...

I love how you structured your response - slowed me down. I had just put a hold on this book at my library today. Now I can't wait!
Clare

Cheriee Weichel said...

I just put a hold on this book earlier today. I'm looking forward to seeing how it would work as a companion book for Love that Dog by Sharon Creech.

Lisa Rogers said...

Thank you, Jeanne, for sharing 16 WORDS with your readers!

Jeanne Walker Harvey said...

Hi Linda,
Yes! I think you'll enjoy it!
Thanks for stopping by

Jeanne Walker Harvey said...

Hi Clare,
I appreciate your comments. I think you'll enjoy the book.

Jeanne Walker Harvey said...

Hi Lisa,
Thanks so much for stopping by! Always a treat when an author or illustrator comes by. I so enjoyed your book, and you can see others do too.

Jeanne Walker Harvey said...

Hi Cheriee,
Great idea to pair 16 WORDS with LOVE THAT DOG! I look forward to hearing how it works.
Thanks for stopping by.

2Shaye ♪♫ said...

Oh this sounds just lovely, Jeanne. I'm definitely adding it to my list. Thanks for sharing!

Jeanne Walker Harvey said...

Hi 2Shaye,
Yes, I think you'll enjoy it.
Thanks for stopping by