8.27.2018

Counting on Katherine

How Katherine Johnson
Saved Apollo 13

Christy Ottaviano Books
Henry Holt and Company
(pub. 6.19.2018)
40 pages

A True Tale with
A Cherry On Top   

A uthor:  Helaine Becker
    and illustrator: Dow Phumiruk

C haracter: Katherine Johnson

O
 verview from the jacket flap: 

     "You've likely heard of the historic Apollo 13 moon landing. But do you know about the mathematical genius who made sure that Apollo 13 returned safely home?
     As a child, Katherine Johnson loved to count. She counted the steps to the road, the number of dishes and spoons she washed in the kitchen sink - everything! Boundless, curious, and excited by calculations young Katherina longed to know as much as she could about math, about the universe.
     From Katherine's early beginnings as a gifted student to her heroic accomplishments as a prominent mathematician at NASA, this is the story of a groundbreaking American woman who not only calculated the course of moon landings but, in turn, saved lives and made enormous contributions to history."

T antalizing taste: 
      
      "Katherine now found herself at the heart of America's space program. She worked as a 'computer' (electronic computers were not widely used yet), calculating long series of numbers.
     All the computers were women. They were given the tasks that men thought were boring and unimportant.
     That didn't bother Katherine. She knew that without her contributions, a spaceship couldn't reach its destination, nor safely return to Earth."
     
and something more: I'm thrilled to feature COUNTING ON KATHERINE for a number of reasons! The illustrator, Dow Phumurik, is the amazing illustrator of the last book I wrote, MAYA LIN - ARCHITECT OF LIGHT AND LINES which was also published by the terrific publisher/editor Christie Ottaviano (Henry Holt). We also share the same agent, the incredible Deborah Warren of East West Literary Agency. And, of course, the subject, Katherine Johnson, is such a terrific role model for children.
     I asked Dow to share a few thoughts about COUNTING ON KATHERINE and she kindly wrote:
     "I know we can’t change the past, but I can’t help but think how many more women mathematicians, engineers, and scientists we’d have today if her story had been widely known a few decades ago. 
     Today, I hope this book inspires many to work hard to make their dreams come true. Perhaps they, too, will make history in doing so. 
      And a very important date just passed: Katherine Johnson’s 100th birthday was on August 26th!"
      
     Thank you, Dow, for sharing your thoughts AND for illustrating this wonderful book, a true inspiration for all!

8 comments:

2Shaye ♪♫ said...

I was delighted to learn more about Katherine Johnson last year and I just know this book will be an excellent addition to any children's library. I haven't yet read this one, so I sure hope we get some local copies. Thank you so much for sharing, Jeanne, and have a wonderful reading week!

Jane @ www.raincitylibrarian.ca said...

What an incredible role model, this is such a great book, I'm only sad it took me so long to learn about Katherine Johnson!

Jeanne Walker Harvey said...

Hi 2Shaye,
Yes, I think this book should find its way to every children's library!
Thanks so much for stopping by!

Jeanne Walker Harvey said...

Hi Jane,
Yes, I understand how you feel. But the good thing is that so many books are now being published about unknown role models.

thanks for stopping by!

Cheriee Weichel said...

I'm excited that my library has this book. It also has a copy of Katherine Johnson by Thea Feldman. I'll try to pick them up together and see how they work together.

Earl said...

I haven't read this yet but I'm sure I will since I loved hearing about her from Hidden Figures.

Jeanne Walker Harvey said...

Hi Cheriee,

Yay! I'm so glad you'll be able to read this wonderful book, and possibly pair it with the other book about Katherine Johnson.
Thanks for stopping by!

Jeanne Walker Harvey said...

Hi Earl,
Yes, I think you'll enjoy this book after learning about her in Hidden Figures.
Thanks for stopping by!